Love - Hate situation…

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JoelKlein

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I love this picture, to the point I want to print it, but I don’t like it. I can’t pinpoint…
IMG_8369.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

It's a nice scene, but the bright highlights and overall contrasty lighting is a bit difficult. You might try doing some highlight recovery and maybe a bit of vignette(edge burn) to see if you can tone down some of the brightest highlights. The bright leaves near the center and especially the very bright foliage in the upper left are a bit distracting to my eyes and detract from the tranquility of the scene. The reflections are nice.

Here is a thought. Take it for what it is worth. Is it possible you like a part of the image and are conflicted about the whole? Being fairly new to this forum, I don't know if it is appropriate to modify your image. But since it is in the critique forum, I gave it a try.

What I saw was a different picture entirely - the interaction of the plants in the water with their reflection. So I did a quick crop to see what it would look like. There would still be work to do on this version, but you get the idea.

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 17-50-00 Love - Hate situation….png

Reactions: BWP
Here is a thought. Take it for what it is worth. Is it possible you like a part of the image and are conflicted about the whole? Being fairly new to this forum, I don't know if it is appropriate to modify your image. But since it is in the critique forum, I gave it a try.

What I saw was a different picture entirely - the interaction of the plants in the water with their reflection. So I did a quick crop to see what it would look like. There would still be work to do on this version, but you get the idea.

View attachment 88254

My thoughts exactly. However, if it was me, I would bring down the exposure on the bright leaves top center. It looks blown out to my eye.

View attachment 88254
Wow, that is a great idea.
I got confused with the hanging stuff on both sides.

Now I see, it’s lacking DOF, f/2.8.
The shutter is higher because I was in slow moving pontoon boat.
This is on Blue Cypress Lake

Reactions: BWP
Here is my take on the first one. I want to emphasize here that this is simply my impression. We all see different things in a photo and there is no absolute right or wrong answer. You may not like this at all - that's OK. I'm just showing a different way of approaching the image.

_NZ80269-Edit.jpg

Here is my take on the first one. I want to emphasize here that this is simply my impression. We all see different things in a photo and there is no absolute right or wrong answer. You may not like this at all - that's OK. I'm just showing a different way of approaching the image.

View attachment 88457
I see the idea, keeping the background darker.
I actually like it! I didn’t think of that approach, because I liked the idea of seeing the background expanding deeper.
What I’m learning from you, is to pick a main subject and stick to it, then make everything around compliment and blend in. Now the front main elements pop.

This would be a good candidate to printed on metal.
Question is if I should choose semi gloss or high gloss.

I processed this entirely in NX.
My idea was to edit like shooting with a prime lens vs using a zoom which is working differently with the brain. I don’t have access to masks.

I asked my brain what it wants…
My brain said:
I like the overwhelming scene as I saw it, the eyes can wonder around from the left highlighted to the front right out of focus, which creates a 3D effect, then to the front bunch of leaves, then to side bunch, then to the back, then farther back into the trees, then up the back trees.

I could be totally off, I’m sharing this discussion to gain clarity. Because landscapes with water is tricky to learn the skill, I can learn more techniques and knowledge.
IMG_8375.jpeg

Personally, I think the hanging branches on the right are a bit distracting. That would work, of there were similar branches on the top, framing the water plants in the middle. The crops focusing on the center work great, and having a ton of pixels to play with allows you to do so.

One other things, but that might be my screen, the picture is a tad too over saturated for my personal taste. Nothing to bad so, and if the scene actually looked a lot like that IRL, I take no issue with it whatsoever.

Back